Hello and welcome to P.S. 401’s Parent Page!
This page will be used to provide you with information about upcoming workshops and events, and resources for helping your child with his/her academics at home.
The Parent Coordinator’s office is full of resources for parents as well. Some of the areas I help with are:
- Parent Advocacy: If you have a question or concern about your child’s education, need help navigating the school system, or are in need of a 3rd party in a meeting with a teacher or the principal, I’m here to help. I can also help you with resources and information for transitioning into a new school environment, retrieving homework packets if your child is out of school for an extended amount of time, and completing any school related forms. The list goes on and on. Please feel free to speak with me if you have any questions regarding your child’s education and/or school environment.
- Employment Assistance: I am informed of current job opportunities for all educational and skill levels regularly. The information is posted frequently on the Parent Board located by the security desk when you enter the school. If you click on the “Opportunities” link, you’ll also have access to retrieving this same information online.
- Schooling and Career Training: Did you know that you can take career training courses and become certified for FREE?! Classes are offered all over the five boroughs for NYC residents 21 years of age or older. Courses range from Electrical Installation to Medical Billing and Coding to Culinary Arts and so much more. Click on the “Opportunities” link for more information. If you’re interested in taking your GED (also free), starting or going back to college, or registering for a free course, please stop by or give me a call. I’m always willing to help in any way I can.
- Housing Resources and Information: If you’re struggling with your housing situation or are between homes, you have more resources to help you than you may realize! Please feel free to stop by my office or give me a call if you need more information on the housing resources that may be available to you.
- Student Resources: Need help finding a tutor, after-school program, or extra-curricular activities for your child(ren)? You can find access to programs and services available for your family by stopping by the parent board or speaking with me. I can help point you in the right direction for many of your needs.
- The Parent Room: P.S. 401 proudly supports its parents on their own quest for success! The Parent Room provides parents with a quiet, comfortable, and safe place to use computers, a fax machine, copy machine, and more. Parents can come in during the open hours to surf the web for jobs, housing, build a resume or childcare information. If they’re in school, parents can come here to type up their homework or research free activities and events taking place in the greater NYC area. The Parent Room is a parent’s one stop shop to resources and information…all on your own time and at your own speed.
- Learning Leaders: Parent volunteers are a vital part of our school family. They attend training and undergo a background check before joining and then take on roles as volunteers on trips, in the lunchroom, hallway monitoring, and helping out in the classrooms. They help with administrative duties like making copies, delivering supplies to classrooms, and sorting mail. They are more than just parents, they are part of the school team. If you’re interested in becoming a learning leader, please feel to speak with me.
The Parent Coordinator’s Office is here to serve you and your family’s needs in every way possible. The most important thing to remember about the Parent Coordinator is that you’ll never know how I can be of any help…if you don’t ask! Feel free to stop by office with your questions, concerns, suggestions, or feedback. You are always welcome.
Ms. Jean, Parent Coordinator
Monday-Friday 8:30am-3:30pm (earlier or later hours can be scheduled)
Room 123, Main Office
(718)495-5761 ext. 1234